Ready your paper and pen to give you the 8 chicken sushi recipes you can do at home. Chicken is another filling that you can use on your sushi roll. It contains vital vitamins and minerals to promote brain health, strong bones, and a healthy heart.
Can you use chicken in making sushi? You definitely can do it. Fortunately, if you can make sushi with raw fish, you can also do the same with chicken. Some restaurants serve raw chicken in Japanese, and they name it ‘Chicken Tartare.’ If you want to try something new other than fish on your sushi, keep on reading.
8 Chicken Sushi Recipes
I know you’re ready to create and taste something new. So, here are the 8 chicken sushi recipes that you can quickly try at home. Each recipe offers unique tastes that will burst in your mouth for every bite. Are you ready? Let’s go.
1.Teriyaki Chicken Sushi
Chicken teriyaki is one of the most common recipes for this meat. So, why not try wrapping it in a sushi roll? Experience the sweet and salty taste of chicken teriyaki wrapped in smooth and sticky sushi rice.
Ingredients For Teriyaki Chicken Sushi
- 2 cups of sushi rice
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 400g thinly sliced Chicken Skinless Breast
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 Tbsp mirin
- 3 Tbsp Reduced Salt Japanese soy sauce
- 6 sheets nori seaweed
- 1 seedless and thinly sliced red pepper
- 1 thinly sliced avocado
- Japanese Soy Sauce (for serving)
- Wasabi paste (for serving)
- Pickled ginger (for serving)
Method For Teriyaki Chicken Sushi
- Cook the sushi rice and put it in a bowl, and drain. Stir in the vinegar and sugar from the rice wine and set aside to cool.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat a splash of oil. Then, add the skinless chicken breast.
- Stir fry the chicken over high heat. Do it for 3 to 4 minutes until it turns to a golden brown.
- Add the ginger, mirin, and soy sauce and fry over medium heat until you cook the chicken. The sauce should have a syrupy consistency.
- Use one sheet of nori and place it on a bamboo sushi mat. Make sure that the glossy side is down. Use rice to cover two-thirds of the nori and press down gently.
- Combine the chicken, red pepper, and avocado to the rice strip. Use a bamboo mat to roll your sushi carefully but firmly.
- Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.
2.Sweet Chilli Chicken Sushi
Do you prefer something sweet and spicy? Try out this Sweet Chilli Chicken Sushi. Each bite will give you different flavors. Savor this delicious sushi roll. Easy to make. Best of all, the ingredients are accessible to almost any market.
Ingredients For Sweet Chilli Chicken Sushi
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- ¼ cup Obento mirin seasoning
- 4 chicken tenderloins, cut into strips lengthways
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 2 tablespoons Kewpie mayonnaise
- 4 nori sheets
- ½ medium avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 4 green oak lettuce leaves, torn
Method For Sweet Chilli Chicken Sushi
- Create your sushi rice. Rinse and drain the sushi rice at least three times or until its water appears to be transparent. Put a bowl of rice in a sieve, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, put the rice and 1 cup of cold water over medium heat. Cover until it boils. Then, reduce the heat to low levels. Let it cook for about 12 minutes or until the rice absorbs the water.
- Once cooked, move your rice to a large ceramic platter. Stir it using a spatula to break up the lumps. Apply the rice seasoning until it becomes warm.
- Put the chicken and two tablespoons of sweet chili sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil over medium to high heat in a small frying pan. Then, add chicken and cook it for 5 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Do the same for the other side.
- Then, mix the mayonnaise and the remaining sweet chili sauce.
- Place one nori sheet on the sushi mat, glossy side down. Spread 1⁄4 rice mixture over nori using damp fingers, leaving a 2cm strip on one long end.
- Spread 1⁄4 of the sushi mixture over the middle of the rice. Then, arrange 1⁄4 of the chicken, avocado, lettuce, and cucumber over the rice.
- Roll up firmly using the mat to shape a roll. Once done, break the roll into six slices.
- Repeat to make 24 pieces with the remaining nori sheets, rice mix, mayonnaise mixture, ham, avocado, cucumber, and lettuce.
- For a perfect combination, serve the roll with sauce.
3.Spicy Chicken Sushi Roll
Here’s another spicy chicken sushi roll. If spicy dishes are your thing, you don’t want to miss this Chicken Sushi Roll. The process may be a little bit longer than other recipes in this post, but it’s worth your time and effort.
Ingredients For Spicy Chicken Sushi Roll
For the Spicy Chicken:
- 1 cup shredded chicken (canned or rotisserie)
- 3 ½ tablespoons mayo, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
For the Sushi
- 2 sheets seaweed, cut in half
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice (short grain preferred)
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced (or regular cucumbers)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
Method For Spicy Chicken Sushi Roll
- Mix the shredded chicken with your preferred mayonnaise. Add the Sriracha as well. Then, put the bowl aside.
- On a cutting board, position half a sheet of seaweed. On the left side of the half-sheet of seaweed, put around 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup of warm rice. Wet your fingers gently to keep the rice from sticking.
- Spread the rice in an even layer all over the seaweed. You can sprinkle the seasoning over the rice.
- Now, turn over to the other side of the seaweed and rice to face down the rice side.
- Place spoonfuls of spicy chicken (about three tablespoons) in a thin layer along the bottom of the seaweed. To the spicy chicken, add slices of cucumber and avocado.
- Take the seaweed rice’s bottom edge until all the ingredients are put, and roll the seaweed and ingredients up until you hit the other end. Now the rice side needs to be on the outside.
- Take the rolling mat of bamboo sushi and put it in a Ziploc bag.
- Place over the sushi roll with the Ziploc-ed sushi mat. Push gently against the bamboo sushi mat on the sushi roll. It helps push back the rice against the sushi and smooth out any region where the rice will begin to fall off.
- Remove the mat from the sushi roll carefully.
- Take a sharp knife and by sawing back and forth, cut the roll in half. Since it will cause the roll to break apart, you don’t want to push it down into the sushi roll. The roll stays intact by cutting back and forth.
- Place the two halves next to each other to produce 6 to 8 pieces in total, and make two to three more slices.
- When you already use all the ingredients, continue making these rolls.
- Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi on the spicy chicken rolls.
4.Chicken Karaage Sushi Roll
Combine one traditional Japanese dish with another. The Chicken Karaage Sushi Roll will give you authentic Japanese cruising rushing through your mouth.
Ingredients For Chicken Karaage Sushi Roll
- 2 servings
- 2 bowls Hot cooked rice
- 3 slice Toasted nori seaweed
- Flavoring ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 6 pieces of fried chicken
- 3 leaves lettuce
Method For Chicken Karaage Sushi Roll
- For about 20 seconds, microwave the seasoning ingredients to dissolve them. You can adjust the microwave’s time and heat, depending on how you want to cook the chicken.
- With a rice paddle, apply the flavoring ingredients to the boiling hot rice, and combine when cooling.
- Put down a rolling sushi mat, then in that order, put on plastic wrap, nori seaweed, and 1/3 of the sushi rice. At this point, don’t put on too much sushi rice!
- In the center, place the lettuce and the fried chicken on top. Then, cut the fried chicken into pieces that are similar in size.
- Roll it up tightly and securely.
- Cut the rolls with a wet knife. You can add spicy mayo for additional flavor.
5.Teriyaki Chicken Avocado Sushi
Level up the teriyaki chicken sushi by putting in some avocado. It is healthy and blends well with the flavor of the teriyaki chicken. Do you want to know how to do it? Let’s check it out.
Ingredients For Teriyaki Chicken Avocado Sushi
- 4 chicken tenderloins, each cut in 4 thin strips lengthways
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki marinade
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Lebanese cucumber cut in thin batons
- 1 ripe avocado cut into strips.
- 1 cup sushi rice cooked – following pack instructions
- 1 pack nori sheets for sushi
- 3 or 4 tablespoons sushi rice wine
- Japanese soy for dipping
- Japanese style pickled ginger
Method For Teriyaki Chicken Avocado Sushi
- Cook the sushi rice, and sprinkle with sushi vinegar. You can add more or less vinegar to suit your taste. Let it cool.
- Apply the sesame oil to a medium frying pan over medium heat and fry the tenderloins until they have just changed color.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and cook until the sauce is tender and the chicken becomes golden brown.
- Roll your sushi rolls when the rice and chicken have cooled. Place the nori sheets one on a bamboo sushi mat on the shiny side at a time.
- At the end of the nori, spread a thin, even layer of sushi rice over the bottom half of the nori board, allowing a few centimeters to clear.
- Arrange strips of chicken, cucumber, and avocado teriyaki around the center of the sushi rice, then apply a thin wasabi wipe if you like.
- Wet the nori’s bare end and use the bake to lift the nori’s end closest to you. Then, start rolling it into a tight log.
- Cut with a very sharp and wet knife into 8 bits and place on a serving tray.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow the nori to soften slightly before serving. For dipping and pickled ginger, serve chilled with Japanese soy and wasabi.
6.Tropical Fruit and Jerk Chicken Sushi
Add more tropical flavors to your chicken sushi. Who said you could stick with traditional fish sushi only? Check out how to create this Tropical Fruit and Jerk Chicken Sushi.
Ingredients For Tropical Fruit and Jerk Chicken Sushi
- 2 medium chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons prepared jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups of sushi rice
- 4 sheets of nori
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- ½ mango, sliced into strips
- ½ avocado, cut into strips
- ¼ English cucumber, peeled and cut into skinny strips
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
Method For Tropical Fruit and Jerk Chicken Sushi
- Spread the jerk seasoning, salt, and black pepper over the chicken breasts. Add the olive oil and position it over high heat in a medium saute pan.
- Add the chicken breasts when the oil is almost smoked, turn the heat down to medium-high, and proceed to sear on both sides until the chicken is golden brown and cooked thoroughly, around 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Switch the chicken to a cutting board from the pan and leave the chicken to cool. Slice the chicken breasts to about 1⁄4-inch each strip. Cool it a little bit until you can hold it properly.
- Use plastic wrap to cover a bamboo mat or sheet of foil. Place the nori sheet on top. Spread 1 cup of cooked rice uniformly on top of the seaweed with water-moistened palms, leaving roughly a 1⁄4-inch border on the top and bottom edges.
- Firmly press the rice on the nori. Switch the sushi sheet over, leaving the plastic wrap in place on the mat, so that the seaweed faces up and the rice faces down.
- On top of the seaweed, arrange 1⁄4 of the chicken strips, mango and avocado slices, and cucumber so that the ingredients form a tidy narrow row that aligns with the edge of the nearest nori square.
- Roll the bamboo mat forward, pushing within the cylinder-shaped sushi with the ingredients. To form the sushi, press firmly with both hands on the bamboo mat, and then remove it. Repeat the method to produce three more rolls with the remaining ingredients.
- On a tray, put the sesame seeds. Roll the sushi until you cover it all with sesame seeds. Cut the sushi rolls into 1-inch rounds using a thin, serrated knife moistened with water. Serve the rolls with wasabi and soy sauce, or with svocado.
- Use Pickapeppa sauce and pickled ginger to serve.
7.Buffalo Chicken Sushi
What about this Buffalo Chicken Sushi? This recipe is perfect for all occasions.
Ingredients For Buffalo Chicken Sushi
- 1 cup rice short grain rice (sushi rice)
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 sheets nori
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 2 ribs celery, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- ½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup cheese tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
Method For Buffalo Chicken Sushi
- Bring the water and rice to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for around 18 to 22 minutes until the rice absorbs the water.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, heat the vinegar, sugar, and salt until the sugar and salt have dissolved, set aside, and let cool.
- In a big bowl, spread out the rice and fold in the vinegar mixture.
- With the shiny side down, put a sheet of nori on a sushi mat and cover 3⁄4 of it with a thin layer of rice. Place 1 inch off the edge of a row of buffalo chicken, celery, carrots, blue cheese, and crumbled tortilla chips and roll it up.
- Slice the rolls into six bits and have fun!
8.Chicken Tempura Rolls
Shrimp tempura is almost everyone’s favorite. But if you’re allergic to it, this Chicken Tempura Roll is a must-try.
Ingredients For Chicken Tempura Rolls
- 2 cups of sushi rice
- ½ cup of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pound frozen breaded chicken tenders
- ⅔ cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Bamboo sushi mat
- 1 ½ cups toasted almonds
- 3 green onions
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1 large navel orange cut into thin strips
Method For Chicken Tempura Rolls
- Wash rice in many changes of cold water in a wide bowl until the water is clear. Place in a big saucepan; add 2 cups of water. Let it sit for thirty minutes.
- Cover and bring the saucepan to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, blend the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small cup, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Shift the rice to a shallow bowl; sprinkle with a mixture of 1⁄3 cup of vinegar. For assembly, set aside the remaining vinegar mixture. Stir the rice with a slicing motion with a wooden paddle or spoon until cooled. Cover with a wet cloth so that it remains moist.
- Bake the chicken and let it cool. Then, split into small and long stripes. Combine the juice concentrate, soy sauce, ginger, pepper flakes, and oil in a wide bowl; set aside half a cup for serving. To the remaining orange mixture, add the chicken; toss to cover.
- With plastic wrap, cover the sushi mat. Spread 1⁄4 cup of almonds into a 9 x 6-inch rectangle in an even layer over the plastic wrap. Use reserved vinegar mixture to moisten hands; press the rice over almonds in a thin, even layer.
- Arrange a small volume from the bottom edge of the rectangle of chicken mixture, green onion, red pepper, and orange strips about 1 1⁄2 inches apart. Roll the rectangle away from you by holding the bamboo mat and carefully enclosing the filling with rice. Then, set aside the tempura roll.
- Break them into 1 1⁄2 inch slices each. With the reserved sauce, serve the roll.
Another filling that you can use on your sushi roll is chicken. It contains essential vitamins and minerals to help develop the brain, strong bones, and a healthy heart. Fortunately, you can also use it as a filling in your sushi roll. We hope that our list of 8 chicken sushi recipes gave you ideas on reinventing traditional Japanese sushi.